04 June 2011

I am not a good businessman: Shah Rukh Khan

Shah Rukh Khan|RA.One|Krrish|IPL
Shah Rukh Khan meets his fans in Ahmedabad
Shah Rukh Khan More Pics
During a recent trip to Ahmedabad, superstar Shah Rukh Khan talks about his IPL experience, why he wants to devote more time to family and his wish to do low budget cinema in 2012

The last few months have been a surprise with Bollywood churning out hit low budget films. Yet you have chosen to do big budget commercial Hindi films. Why do you always do films where crores are riding on you?
I agree that I have not been able to do experimental films, which any actor in my place would have. When I did My Name is Khan last year, I had thought that it would be a low budget film but since it was shot abroad, it became expensive. People come to me saying, 'Shah Rukh we can make a film you like and write a role that you want.' That's not what I want. Once Upon A Time In Mumbai and Udaan are all such great examples. But having said that, I don't think it is a trend. It is not about low budget or high budget. It is the art of story telling and if you can do it well, then your film works.

So do you have any plans for doing such experimental cinema?
Yes, the next one year I want to keep myself reserved for low budget films, which will enable me to devote more time to family. In the last 20 years that I have been working in the industry, I have been able to devote only 6-7 years to my family. When my kids grow up and get bored of me, then probably I would have more time to even direct a film. But as of now, I understand that people want to see me on screen (laughs).

Why did you think of doing Ra-One now? You could have easily done a sci-fi thriller in the early stage of your career.
I think except for a Krrish, the people of India have always looked forward to watching sci-fi thrillers from Hollywood. There is a Superman, Spiderman or an Iron man in the west. So I wanted an Indian superhero. With Ra-One I have taken a chance. It remains to be seen if I will go wrong with this or not.

SRK gives an impression of a winner. So how was the IPL experience this year? Your team didn't reach the finals.
Thank you very much for calling me a winner. If you consider my IPL experience, I am not a winner at all. I can do films, but I can't do business. I am not a good businessman. I have no idea how to run a company and I don't know how to deal with economics and production. So we have Jaybhai (Jay Mehta) who is heading the team as a CEO. Jay bhai does the hard work and my job is to only go on the field, wear a t-shirt and look cool. I had thought about Kolkata Knight Riders (KKR) because I have very utopian ideas about sports. I had wanted that from the huge population of the country, only 11 people should not be chosen to play cricket. I dream of a day when children can tell their parents that they are studying to be a sportsman. But it seems my KKR experience tells me something else. I need to study it first then I will make people understand about it.

Do you feel that there is a lack of good female actors who can work with you today?
No. I don't think so. Kareena is very beautiful and I wanted someone established like her for Ra-One because with an expensive film you can't take chances. If I had taken someone like a Deepika Padukone who is marvellous but new, we would have to work harder on her. And you need patience with newer actors.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Categories