12 April 2012

Bollywood actor detained at U.S. airport, again

Bollywood superstar Shahrukh Khan was detained at a New York airport for over two hours by immigration officials after arriving on a private plan from India to address students of Ivy League college, Yale, reports the Hindustan Times.

Khan was cleared by authorities at White Plains airport after two hours and arrived at his scheduled talk three hours late.

Khan was detained in 2009 by authorities at Newark airport and released after Indian embassy officials intervened reported the BBC.

Then Khan had said he was stopped because he had a Muslim name but U.S. authorities claimed the actor was not detained, only questioned.
It is unclear why he was detained on Thursday.

“Whenever I start feeling too arrogant about myself I always take a trip to America. The immigration guys kicked the star out of stardom,” Khan told students at Yale, reported the Hindustan Times.

However, he also showed a sense of humor, saying that he was grateful for “small victories” in such circumstances.

“They (immigration officials) always ask me how tall I am and I always lie and say 5 feet 10 inches. Next time I am going to get more adventurous. [If they ask me] What color are you, I am going to say white,” Khan said.

Officials at Yale University said the actor was “very very upset” at the episode and it “took time for the university officials to make him comfortable again.”

read more : http://english.alarabiya.net/articles/2012/04/13/207386.html

No comments:

Post a Comment

Categories